We made this back around St. Patrick’s day and I totally forgot to post it! We really enjoyed this hearty meal and ate the leftovers for 2 days after! It was so yummy and fills your belly!
This recipe was so rich and delicious and warms you to your core! We will definitely be making it again, as the whole family really enjoyed it! If you have kids that don’t like veggies you can hide them pretty well in this recipe too, just dice them up really tiny, and the kiddos won’t even know what hit them!
1 pound ground beef
1-2 tablespoons oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 stalks of celery, finely diced
3 medium carrots, finely diced
1 cup frozen peas
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
6 oz can of tomato paste
1/4-1/3 cup red wine
1 cup beef broth
4 cups of mashed potatoes
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (if desired)
1. Brown your beef in a large skillet over medium heat. In a second skillet, add oil, garlic, onion, celery, and carrots and cook until tender. Add your veggies into your beef skillet.
2. Add your salt and pepper and mix well. Sprinkle flour over your beef mixture and mix well. Cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in your tomato paste and continue to cook for another minute or 2.
3. Add in your red wine and allow to come to a boil. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until most of the liquid evaporates. Then add in your broth and simmer for several minutes. At this point, your mixture should start to thicken.
4. Stir in your frozen peas and parsley, thyme and rosemary. Then remove from heat and spread evenly in a 9 by 13 baking dish. Allow to cool.
5. While you are letting your beef mixture cool, prepare your mashed potatoes. We used about 3 pounds of potatoes because we wanted a thick layer, but you could probably use around two pounds and be fine!
6. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Scoop your mashed potatoes over your cold filling. Doing small scoops and carefully spreading will prevent it from mixing. Make sure to cover the entire top. You can top with cheese at this point if desired!
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked through!